Makes 1 9-inch pie
- Two sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, frozen for at least 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons of ice water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla bean paste (Nielsen Massey makes a nice one) or regular vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup honey (one full 12oz jar of Frangiosa Farms Artisan Raw Honey)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Directions for crust
- To make the crust, in the bowl of a food processor, mix together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add cold, cubed butter and, pulsing the processor in short quick bursts, work the butter into the flour mixture.
- Quickly break the butter down into the flour mixture. Some butter pieces will be the size of oat flakes, some will be the size of peas.
- Slowly pour in the ice water. The dough will come together quickly, and roll around the bowl of the processor. You want the mixture to be shaggy and not outwardly wet.
- On a lightly floured work surface, turn out the dough mixture. It should be moist and shaggy. Gently knead into a disk.
- Divide the disk into two equal disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and freeze for one hour. Allowing the dough to rest in the refrigerator will help rechill the butter and distribute the moisture. *There will be an extra pie crust for you to use for another pie. We always like to make a double crust recipe if we’re going through the effort to make a crust!
- Allow the dough to soften before rolling, about 10 minutes. To roll out the pie crust, on a well floured surface, roll the crust 1/8 inch thick and about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer it to a pie pan.
- Trim the edge almost even with the edge of the pan Fold the edges under and crimp with your fingers or a fork.
- Place in freezer for a minimum of 30 minutes, or refrigerate for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a rack in the center of the oven.
Directions for filling and baking
- To make the filling, in a medium bowl whisk together melted butter, sugar, cornmeal, and salt.
- Add the vanilla bean extract, if using into the butter mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk in honey.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking to combine.
- Whisk in heavy cream and vinegar.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Place pie dish onto a baking sheet to make it easier to manage, the filling is quite “loose” and spills easily.
- Bake pie for 45 to 55 minutes until pie is deep golden brown and puffed around the edges and set in the center.
- Open the oven and rotate the pie halfway through baking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 4 hours before serving. This is an important step! The custard filling will weep if it doesn’t set long enough.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
(adapted from Four and Twenty Blackbirds Cookbook)