Hemp Hearts Falafel and Lemon Hemp Honey Tahini Dressing
We wanted to incorporate some of the other parts of the hemp plant into a recipe and we came up with a delicious middle eastern dish that will make you a believer in the power and versatility of the whole hemp plant. Hemp Hearts (or hemp seeds) are a fantastic natural source of essential fatty acids and protein and prove once again that it's not just "all about the naturally-occurring CBD" when it comes to the hemp plant.
Hemp Hearts Falafel
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces) drained and rinsed, reserve liquid
- ½ cup parsley leaves, chopped roughly
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ small onion chopped finely
- 5 tbsp hemp hearts, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, parsley, and puree until grainy but well broken down. Don't worry if there are pieces of garbanzo beans, this will add to the texture of the patty.
- Add in the onion, garlic, lemon juice, hemp hearts, almond flour, coriander, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and process until well blended. If the falafel base is dry, add liquid from chickpeas to bring it together into a damp dough.
- Scoop into 2 tablespoon balls and form into ¼ inch patties. Use your hands to press into compact patties. Yields 12 patties. Sprinkle with more hemp hearts on both sides, pressing into the falafel patty. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown, flipping once halfway through.
Lemon Honey-Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Stress Less Colorado Hemp Honey
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ice-cold water, more as needed
- In a bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine the olive oil, tahini, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, honey, salt, and black pepper. Whisk until thoroughly blended. Slowly pour in the cold water, and whisk again. The dressing will be thick. Add more lemon juice and pepper, if desired. If your dressing is too thick to drizzle, whisk in more cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Drizzle over falafel and veggies.
Serve with hummus, pita and vegetables of your choice